Monday, July 28, 2008

City Tour

I have been tromping around Harbin for two weekends now. This weekend will make three. The first weekend was rather disappointing. The second weekend was fruitless. Harbin appears to be very functional, full of concrete, and devoid of character, at least in the summer. In the winter the city is supposed to come alive with snow and ice sculptures illuminated from within. Also known as ice lanterns.
Its not that Harbin is terrible, it is just lacking the street life and vibrance I was expecting. On the upside I did find a nice forest park to walk around in, excellent meat sausages, and potential t1bet1an food.
The contrasts between china and the US are numerous and striking. Who would have guessed? Lets start with physical appearances. Chinese people look Chinese. More than that many are rather slim or skinny. Actually most of the Chinese females are rather thin and many of the males are rather portly. The size difference between the sexes is striking. Also the shear frailness of the women. I had been thinking about how strange the size contrast was for several days when I asked my roommate. His response was that many women diet, constantly. I was astounded to hear this, although it does seems to make sense (check out the bellies on some of the guys). Widespread dieting is not confirmed, and I am not about to go around asking every thin girl.
There are several portly men, as i mentioned. Whats even more interesting is that it is currently summer and their bellies get hot. To cool off the belly, you simply pull your shirt up uncovering your belly and go about your business as if everything is normal or you are super proud of your protruding flesh.

http://picasaweb.google.com/xisphias/CityTour

I also went to a lake and some sand hole for a picnic this weekend.

http://picasaweb.google.com/xisphias/Daqing

3 comments:

Brian said...

Looks like you are having fun and exploring your surroundings.
so was that a chicken foot and was it tasty?
you did not answer my email

simiao said...

yup. my mom's said that before too.

so the chinese translations on your previous posts made me realize i need to keep reading chinese if i want to keep my language intact. sigh. i haven't done much of that this summer.

new orleans post up on my blog.

changjazz said...

The ice lanterns will be cool. Good sausages are a plus; what do you mean by 'potential' tibetian food?

I wonder if the difference in size between genders has more to do with cultural deferernce (men first) on the feeding chain when it comes to protein etc.? I heard a story about a family getting meat infrequently thru the year and the male child getting the meat rather than the females.

In any event, keep up the belly shots, they're hilarious.

Theory into less lively streets:
Harsh weather-more contained within walls rather than outside in the streets.....