Sunday, August 3, 2008

Bank Confusions

I have been trying to get a wire transfer setup from the US to my chinese bank account for the last two weeks. I started by strolling into the bank of china and setting up a bank account. It was an easy painless process, although strange. I had to create a 6 digit pin and enter it about 40 times throughout the account opening process. After the account was open I asked for the wire transfer numbers. I was supplied with one number, an address, and my acc number.
Before I left the states, I had called the US bank and asked what I needed to do to wire money. I needed my acc number, a routing number, and the wire transfer code. I was a bit suspicious when I got an address instead of a routing number. Bear in mind all conversations concerning my account are in chinese. So when I got the transfer info with an address instead of a routing number, I questioned the teller and was assured that the address was sufficient. I thanked the teller and left.

The next morning at 6am I called up the US bank to catch them before closing and setup the wire transfer. I was politely informed that the wire transfer desk closed at 130pm and it was now 3pm. That night at midnight I called up the US bank and attempted to setup the wire transfer. I provided the bank with the information from the bank of china, acc number, wire code, and address. I was told I needed a routing number. I said they dont have a routing number, they use their address instead. No good. I called up bank of china customer service and asked to speak with an english speaking rep. The english rep didnt really 'speak' english. She said some things in english and then waited for a select list of memorized responses or questions. My query was not on her list and she was utterly confused. The conversation resembled one you might have had with a computer.

Please say your name
me
I am sorry I couldnt understand you. did you say justin?
no
please say your name
me
I am sorry I couldnt hear you.
me
did you say johnson?
no
Please speak your selection 1 for acc summary, 2 for ....
customer service
Transferring you to loans and credit
no!
If you would like a car loan say car loan, if you would like a rate quote...
No, Customer service....

After about 10 minutes of trying to explain what a routing number was, I hung up and called again, this time speaking to a chinese rep. Still failing to both explain what a routing number or obtain one. The chinese rep, just as the teller had done, assured me that only the address was needed and that she had no idea what a routing number was.

The next day I returned to the bank of china branch and again failed at obtaining a routing number. At midnight I called the US bank and again tried to explain that routing numbers were unavailable and wire transfers in china only use addresses. Still unable to wire money, the rep said they would have a manager call me back with info on how to transfer money without a routing number. Progress! I got a message two days later telling me to provide the bank with my account number, wire code, and routing number. Failure!

That night I called the bank of china, ny branch office and talked to someone who not only spoke and understood english, but also knew what a routing number was and gave me one. Finally real progress. I called the US bank and gave them all the info. Wire transfer on the way.

A couple days later the bank of china calls my cell phone and tells me (in chinese) they have received a wire transfer with my account number, but the name on the wire transfer does not match the name on my account. The wire transfer is for a me cxxxx. not a me axxxx cxxxx like my account. I explain that in the us, middle names are not important, and that my us bank doesnt even know my middle name. She doesnt buy it, and says the bank of china cannot accept the transfer. I guess this is some sort of international anti-money laundering/illegal transfer protection.

That night I call up the US bank and relay my conversation with the bank of china. The rep says they used whatever name was on my account and that i would need to come in to add my middle name, or fill out some paper work and mail it back to them. I elect for the paperwork option, and resign myself to not getting a wire transfer anytime in the next month. After I hang up, out of curiosity i check my account online. Magically it has my middle name listed. I immediately call back and get the same rep. I tell her my middle name is on the account and ask why it wasnt included on the wire transfer. She says middle names are not used, unless the customer specifically requests it. How was I to know? After speaking with a manager, the bank agrees to send out a new wire transfer with my full name at no additional charge as soon as the old one comes back. So now I wait for the new transfer to come through. Maybe next week, the bank of china said it might take 2 weeks to clear once they receive it. Banks are fun.

Other options for setting up a chinese bank account include things like going to the atm every day drawing the max, then carrying the wad across the street to the bank office and depositing it. I could also use travelers checks or western union and go downtown to the main office, trade the paper for US dollars, then goto another bank and convert the money to RMB, then go and wait in an enormous line to deposit it, or come back across town with the wad and deposit it my local bank after waiting in a much smaller line.

1 comment:

changjazz said...

this qualifies OMG, and I repeat OMG!
APPLAUSE for your dogged determination to get it solved despite the numerous calls at odd times to confused, underfueled bank employees regarding wiring to China